Thursday 3 June 2010

iGoogle and RSS Feeds

Creating iGoogle was fun! It's useful to be able to add all of your frequently visited webpages onto one site. It's also useful to be able to create tabs to collate different groups of information together.

Working at the Education Faculty, the Education feed from the BBC website allows me to keep up-to-date with developments in this area and the library-related sites in my library tag help me to develop my professional knowledge.

However, despite enjoying creating my iGoogle page I can't help thinking that it's little more than a distraction - you could literally spend hours selecting new "stuff" to add or feeding your virtual monkey bananas!! I'm not sure how useful it is for Libraries either. RSS feeds and/or widgets are only useful if individuals add them to their page. Here at Education we send announcements to our staff and students using CamTools - surely it's better to go to the reader than wait for them to come to you!

But perhaps it's all just about changing habits and altering the way in which you are used to locating information. Once you've added your "stuff" iGoogle does save you having to go to a variety of different websites.

2 comments:

  1. Love your iGoogle page with all the fairies!!

    Like your comments about iGoogle & its relevance to libraries - I said something similar on my blog, and your comment about being able to go direct to the reader via CamTools is very well said. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop feeding bananas to your virtual monkey and do some work! :P hehe

    ReplyDelete